New Member Welcome Information (EN)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by paul, 29 July 2017.

1. paul

paul is a Verified Memberpaul Member Staff Member Standardisation Committee

Welcome to the Cadèmia Siciliana! We're so glad to have you with us on our mission. Here is a quick guide to get you started with our organisation and contains all the information you need to get the most out of your membership.
    1. Have you filled out your membership form? For English speakers: here for Italian, here
    2. Have you joined the Facebook Group? There are also linked local groups for some countries and regions.
    3. Have you liked the Facebook Page?
    4. Are you a member of Academia, a language educator, or language professional? If so, comment here, or message one of the admins. We have a private group for you.
    5. Are you fluent in Sicilian and want to participate in our translation projects? Come visit this thread and volunteer.
    6. Have you signed our petitions, and learned about our different political efforts?
    7. Have you taken taken a look at our official positions on politics, etc?
    8. Have you seen our standardised orthography for helping to make more regular written Sicilian communication? (In Committee now)
    9. If you'd like to make a donation, you can do so here. Supporting members are recognised on the website, and here on the forum.
    10. Have you signed up for Amazon Smile? Amazon will donate .5% of every purchase to Cadèmia Siciliana, at no cost to you.
    11. What other information would you like to see listed here?
    And more importantly, invite your friends interested in Sicilian language issues!

The learning materials thread is here!

Last edited: 8 September 2017
  2. fissatu

fissatu Member Staff Member

Grazzi assai Paulu pi tutt'u to travagghiu

paul likes this.
  3. Erin Blankenship

Erin Blankenship New Member

Hello!
    My name is Erin and I'm an Arabic instructor at the University of South Carolina and a language-lover/polyglot (I used to blog/YouTube as PolyglotEd before transitioning).
    I speak English, Spanish, French, Arabic (MSA & Levantine), (Brazilian) Portuguese, and Persian (all 3 dialects). I can also read Italian decently and I've studied from Albanian. I'm presently working on Hebrew, Japanese, Maltese, Pashto, and now Sicilian :D (and I want to eventually learn Greek, ;) @Giuseppe)
    I just came across the group today when looking for information on Sicilian. I have an interest in Sicilian history, particularly the Arab period, Siculo-Arabic, Maltese, Medieval Mediterranean linguistic history and more. I'm actually working through a career change and will be working on a blog about languages as I travel with my fiancé. We will probably be going to Sicily later this year (and hopefully multiple times in the coming years). When there, I'd like to learn some Sicilian, and hopefully meet people working on Sicilian promotion and preservation and write about it.
    I'd love to meet other people who speak, work on, or are interested in Sicilian, Sicilian history, Siculo-Arabic, Maltese, and or Arbëresh.
    Grazzii