Albanian language material

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinSSP, 17 July 2017.

1. JustinSSP

JustinSSP New Member

Hello

I have found this rather high-level description of Albanian (Tosk and Geg) online. While not specifically about Arbereshe, it's hopefully a useful material.
    https://lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/albol
    What kind of supplements would be necessary for Arbereshe - are most of the conjugations and declensions similar.

2. paul

paul is a Verified Memberpaul Member Staff Member Standardisation Committee

Maybe our dear @MartinH , can give us some Arbëresh material! I for one would love to learn a few sentences in arbëresh. If we're lucky maybe we can convince him to run a 30 minute class?

3. MartinH

MartinH is a Verified MemberMartinH New Member Staff Member Academic Member

Hi

I can do that! I have some materials too. For simple phrases go to my academia.net page Martin Hasani Di Maggio and find the everyday arberesh file

4. paul

5. MartinH

This is an article I wrote on the linguistic situation of Arberesh in Piana degli Albanesi

Attached Files:

tal-fawwara and paul like this.
  6. MartinH

7. tal-fawwara

tal-fawwara New Member

Pretty cool! I have been fascinated with Arbërisht ever since hearing about it years ago. I visited Hora e Arbëreshëvet a few times and loved seeing the bilingual street signs, flags, and other proud displays of the Arbëreshë culture. It's too bad there's not more material for English speakers who want to learn the language. I found a few books written by Zef Skiro Di Maxho on amazon.it but they wouldn't ship to the U.S. Instead, I've been reading "Grammatica della parlata arbëresh di Piana degli Albanesi" by Gaetano Gerbino. I will have to give your Everyday Arberesh a look!

Paul, the book I linked to above is in .pdf form. Is this something we can download and add to the library ?

8. paul

For sure! WhatsApp me your google account and i'll make you an admin of the Cadèmia Document Library

tal-fawwara likes this.
  9. MartinH

As far as I'm aware my book is the only one written in English, I plan on translating the English parts to Italian and Albanian later on, and making it available in print through somewhere other than Lulu.

Gerbino's book is good for grammar and reference but be careful because it's the hybridised standard form (which I mentioned in my article). It's useful if you're a purist but also if you want to practice the grammar. I prefer a dictionary that includes the sicilianisms as I'm my opinion they are an essential part of arberisht.

paul likes this.
  10. tal-fawwara

tal-fawwara New Member

Great book, Martin! I downloaded it and the Code Switching article yesterday. They're officially in my virtual library. Salutamu!